Choose Your FE Exam Course
Passing the FE exam is your first step to becoming a professional licensed engineer. PPI exam bundles provide absolutely everything you need to pass your FE exam. All of our industry-leading FE exam prep materials are available in an easy-to-use learning platform—PPI Learning Hub.
Choose your FE exam to get started!
The FE exam is the first exam you will need to pass in your journey towards becoming a licensed PE (Professional Engineer). We recommend taking the FE exam as soon as possible, either in your last year in an engineering undergraduate program or right after graduation, while the information is fresh in your mind. Taking the FE exam earlier in your career also positions you for success when seeking out relevant engineering work experience, which you will need in order to pursue your PE license down the road. If you're not sure if you will take the PE exam later in your career, passing the FE exam leaves that door open for you. Get started today by selecting the best exam prep bundle for your needs.
What Makes PPI Exam Prep Different?
Lessons from professional engineers. Through lectures, problem-solving demos, strategy sessions, and office hours, your prep will be centered around instruction from experts who know the FE exam inside and out.
Proven FE exam prep designed to help you pass. If you’ve been out of school for a while, there’s nothing to worry about—our FE exam prep has you covered. When you enroll in an FE course, you’ll receive reference materials, homework assignments, detailed class notes (plus the NCEES FE Reference Handbook), as well as access to online quizzes, practice exams, flashcards, and more.
Constantly updated prep materials. Your prep will be the most up-to-date, relevant content available. We pay close attention to whenever the NCEES® FE exam specifications are changed, so you always have practice materials that will help you pass.
A proud reputation as leaders in FE exam prep. We’ve been helping engineers advance their careers through the FE exam since 1975. Our courses aren’t just updated to the newest standards—they’re also based on decades of experience, which means we know what it takes for our students to succeed.
A passing guarantee. When you take one of our FE Live Online courses, we guarantee you’ll pass. And if you don’t, you can take one of our FE OnDemand courses right afterward for free.*
*Conditions and restrictions apply. See https://ppi2pass.com/pass-guarantee for more details.
Exam Details for the FE Exam
The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is a computer-based test that can be taken year round. The FE exam is 110 questions which needs to be completed in 6 hours. The exam is offered in seven disciplines.
FAQs for the FE Exam
There are a few ways to begin your FE prep depending on time available, content knowledge, and more—but these six steps will put you on a path for success no matter where you stand.
- Get the NCEES FE Reference Handbook, and use it alongside your FE Review Manual.
- Determine which knowledge areas you need more help with through your FE Review Manual’s diagnostic exams.
- Make a schedule before beginning to ensure you can cover all of the exam topics.
- Work through every exam subject—skipping your weaker subjects won’t prepare you for success.
- Be thorough. Don’t skip over any problems, solutions, or necessary reference materials.
- Complete as many practice problems as possible. Fast recall will be critical on the FE exam and developing an instinct for how problems look will help you succeed.
- FE Chemical: 73%
- FE Civil: 62%
- FE Electrical and Computer: 73%
- FE Environmental: 70%
- FE Industrial: 62%
- FE Mechanical: 71%
- FE Other Disciplines: 65%
- Nondisclosure agreement (2 minutes)
- Tutorial (8 minutes)
- Exam (5 hours and 20 minutes)
- Scheduled break (25 minutes)