New Edition. Interior Design Reference Manual: Everything You Need to Know to Pass the NCIDQ Exam offers a comprehensive review of all NCIDQ content areas to help you pass the computer-based NCIDQ Examination IDFX, IDPX, as well as the Practicum.
NCIDQ Exam Changes
This year, the two multiple-choice sections of the NCIDQ Examination are changing to a computer-based format:
- Interior Design Fundamentals Exam (IDFX) is available to individuals who meet NCIDQ’s education requirements, regardless of years of experience.
- Interior Design Professional Exam (IDPX) requires individuals to meet both education and experience requirements.
Click here to review the NCIDQ Exam Eligibility Requirements.
Special Offer: Buy the print version, get the E-Book version for 50% off.
The Interior Design Reference Manual is a valuable resource when preparing for the exam, but it can be cumbersome when you’re on the go. With the E-Book version, you can study on public transit, at the coffee shop, or anyplace you can bring a mobile device. Click here to view our E-Book FAQs.
- No waiting--receive the book instantly via download and start studying right away
- No shipping charges
- A full 3 years of access privilege
- Print out up to 10% of the pages--purchase the physical book if you need more printed pages
- Returnable within two days of transaction
- Single-user license—not for multiple users or commercial use
Terms and Conditions: Both items must be in the shopping cart to apply the discount. This offer is not retroactive--you must purchase both the print book and the E-Book at the same time to qualify for the discount. Shipping charges will apply to the print version.
Prepare to Pass the NCIDQ Exam
- Study guidelines, exam tips, and tables throughout the book simplify your exam preparation
- More than 200 figures illustrate common design details in both SI and U.S. measurements
- Over 3,000 index entries help you quickly find key interior design terms and topics
Exam Content Areas Covered
- Design Concepts and Programming
- Design Constraints
- Building Systems and Construction
- Research, Analysis, and Selection of Products and Details
- Communication and Documentation
- Project and Business Management
What's New for the Sixth Edition
- Revised to focus on IDFX, IDPX, and the Interior Design Practicum.
- Updated to incorporate the 2012 International Building Code and 2010 ADA/ABA Accessibility Guidelines.
- Organized by content area, with icons that indicate which content areas are covered in each chapter.
- Expanded coverage of:
- Seismic restraint for ceilings
- Sourcing and researching manufacturer's information
- Building regulations and codes
- Cost estimating and budgeting
An Adobe ID is required to access and download E-Books. If you don't currently have an Adobe ID, please create one for free on the Adobe website. You will also need to download device compatible e-reader software. You can use any e-reader software that is compatible with your device, such as Bluefire, Stanza, or Kobo. For best results, we suggest the Kobo Books e-reader app from iTunes®. Download it here and follow these installation steps:
- Open the Kobo Books e-reader app on your iPad or iPhone.
- On the Kobo home page, click Settings (the gear in the upper left hand corner).
- Click "Sign in to Adobe" under the Other Services section.
- Sign in to your Adobe account to authorize your device.
- Connect the device to the computer where you downloaded Adobe Digital Editions.
- Open iTunes and click on your device, located under the Devices menu or in the top navigation bar.
- When you are in the device's Click "Apps" at the top of the page.
- Select the Kobo app listed under File Sharing panel.
- At the bottom of the Documents panel, click add, then navigate to the "Digital Editions" folder, located under My Documents.
- Click Open on the ePub or PDF files you want transferred to your iPad or iPhone.
If you have trouble at any point during these steps, click here for a PDF of more detailed instructions.
If the Kobo app is not working well on your device, try another e-reader app.
An Adobe ID is required to access and download E-Books. If you don't currently have an Adobe ID, please create one for free on the Adobe website. You will also need to download device compatible e-reader software. You can use any e-reader software that is compatible with your device, such as Better World, Cool Reader, or Aldiko. For best results, we suggest the Aldiko Book Reader from Google Play. Download it here and follow these steps:
- If you don't have an Adobe ID, you'll need to create one on the Adobe website.
- Once you have an Adobe ID, open the Aldiko Book Reader app on your Android device, then tap Settings.
- In the Settings menu, click on Adobe DRM, then enter your Adobe ID and password to authorize your Android device.
- Transfer the E-Book file to your Android device with an external SD card or internal storage.
- Open the Aldiko Book Reader, then tap on the “Files” icon.
- Locate the E-Book file(s) that you would like to import into the Aldiko Book Reader, check the box next to each of them, then tap on the “Import to Aldiko” button.
If the Aldiko app is not working well on your device, try another e-reader app.
Viewing a rights managed E-Book (which is accessible only through an .acsm file) on a Kindle Fire is possible, but it requires some extra steps due to Amazon's proprietary software. The Aldiko Book Reader is a free, third-party application that allows you to view protected files on your Kindle Fire. There are two ways to install the Aldiko Book Reader. Please use one of the following methods:
Downloading and installing the Aldiko Book Reader directly to your Kindle Fire:
- At the top of the Kindle Fire menu, click "More..." under the plus sign icon
- Click Device, then choose ON for "Allow Installation of Applications"
- Open the browser on your Kindle Fire and type www.aldiko.com/download into your search bar
- Choose the "Download from Aldiko.com" option to download the application
- After it is downloaded, click the notification bar at the top of your Kindle's screen, select the .apk file you just downloaded, then click Install
- Verify the installation by opening up the Aldiko app, located under your Apps menu
Transferring the Aldiko Book Reader from your computer to your Kindle Fire (a computer and an SD card is needed):
Downloading Your E-Book(s) to the Kindle Fire
- If you haven't already done so, download and install Adobe Digital Editions software on your computer
- From your computer, download the E-Book(s) you wish to view on your Kindle Fire. You should see an .acsm file being downloaded in your browser window
- Open Adobe Digital Editions on your computer to download the E-Book(s)
- Attach your Kindle Fire to your computer via USB cable
Note: Make sure your Kindle is turned ON before plugging it in with the USB cable, otherwise you will receive a "missing device driver" error. Your Kindle should say "You can now transfer files from your computer to Kindle." If it does not, unplug the device, then plug it back in
- After a brief period you will see a Kindle device in the bottom left pane of the Adobe Digital Editions interface
- You will be asked to authorize your Kindle. Please do so, or the books will not open
- Drag and drop your book from the Adobe Digital Editions Library to your Kindle
- Unplug your Kindle
- Open the Aldiko app on your Kindle (located under your Apps menu), and you will see the downloaded E-Book(s) listed
Please note: Regular Kindles can only read E-Books purchased on the Amazon website because they are in a special format (Mobi, or .prc). Only the Kindle Fire is compatible with our E-Books.
An Adobe ID is required to access and download E-Books. If you don't currently have an Adobe ID, please create one for free on the Adobe website. To download your E-Book to your Nook, follow these steps:
- Download the PDF or ePub file to Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- Connect the Nook to your computer with a compatible USB cable.
- Drag and drop the PDF or ePub from the "My Digital Editions" folder into your "My Documents" folder located in the Nook.
- Once the file(s) are added to the folder, disconnect the Nook from the computer.
- Once the Nook is disconnected, browse the Nook for the "My Library" folder. Open the "My Documents" folder to find your PDF or ePub files.
If you are unsure whether or not your device is compatible with our E-Books, check the Digital Editions Supported Devices web page and try to locate your device. If it is listed, click on its link for more information about downloading and using E-Books. If it is not listed, our E-Books will most likely not work for you.