With an average of six minutes to solve each SE exam multiple-choice problem, efficiency is vital to your success. Six-Minute Solutions for Structural Engineering (SE) Exam Morning Breadth Problems will help you quickly identify accurate solution procedures, effectively apply exam-adopted codes and standards, and increase your problem solving speed.
These practice problems will familiarize you with the multiple-choice format, difficulty, and subject matter of the four-hour morning breadth exams for both lateral and vertical forces. Later force problems focus on wind and earthquake loads, and vertical force problems address loads due to gravity. Problems illustrate a range of structural engineering exam topics, including structural analysis of bridges and buildings, design and detailing of structures, and construction administration.
All problems include hints to help you jumpstart your solutions. Comprehensive, step-by-step solutions illustrate efficient and accurate solution approaches. Solutions also describe common errors that lead to incorrect answers. The codes and standards adopted by NCEES are referenced throughout.
Referenced Codes and Standards
- AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications
- AISC Steel Construction Manual
- Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures (ACI 530/530.1)
- Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318)
- International Building Code (IBC)
- Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (ASCE7)
- National Design Specification for Wood Construction (NDS)
- Seismic Design Manual (AISC 341)
- Special Design Provisions for Wind and Seismic (SDPWS)
Exam Topics Covered
- Structural Design Considerations
- Lateral Forces and their Distribution
- Steel, Concrete, Wood, and Masonry Design
- Structural Analysis Methods
- Foundations and Retaining Structures
What’s New in This Edition
- Updated to the latest codes
- 2010 AASHTO, 5th ed.
- 2008 ACI 318
- 2008 ACI 530/530.1
- 2009 IBC
- 15 new problems
- Major reorganization to match the new SE exam requirements
978-1-59126-133-9 9781591261339 978-1-59126-391-3 9781591263913