Thinking of starting your own business in high-tech? Do yourself a huge favor by reading this book first. The authors, both veterans of many start-ups, address topics vital to your start-up success, such as
- Finding start-up opportunities
- Leaving your current employer but keeping your ideas
- Protecting your intellectual property
- Managing the five critical elements of a successful start-up
- Securing start-up financing
- Dealing successfully with venture capitalists
- Writing a winning business plan
- Creating a management team
- Handling employment and compensation--who to hire and how to pay them
- Avoiding the most common mistakes entrepreneurs make
- Understanding company valuation and exit strategies
James Swanson and Michael Baird lay out all the basic concepts clearly, step by step. They demystify the start-up process with frank advice, insiders' tips, and "been there" examples. On-point case studies show you what to do--and what to avoid. An expanded list of resources steers you to help when you need it. You'll learn what it takes for you to create and manage a start-up, and the personal characteristics required to be successful in your new venture.
In good economies and bad, entrepreneurs will continue to lead the way to new markets, new ventures, and new technologies. With this comprehensive new guide, you have a great start to start-up success.