Seismic Design Solved Problems covers relevant seismic topics found on the California Special Civil Engineer Seismic Exam, the California Structural Engineer Seismic Exam, the Civil PE exam, and the Structural SE exam. It contains over 340 practice problems designed to help you recognize critical concepts and apply your knowledge of seismic topics.
The qualitative short-answer problems are useful in assessing your comprehension of fundamental seismic engineering concepts. The more-complex design and analysis problems challenge your skill in identifying and applying related theories and equations.
- Customary U.S. and SI solution methods are both presented where applicable, to maximize comprehension.
- A nomenclature list is provided to ensure understanding of all terms and variables used.
- Relevant codes and standards are referenced to improve your familiarity with them before the exam.
Referenced Design Standards
- Building Code Requirements and Specification for Masonry Structures (ACI 530/530.1; TMS 402/602)
- Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318)
- California Building Code / International Building Code (CBC/IBC)
- Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures (ASCE/SEI7)
- National Design Specification (NDS)
- Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings (ANSI/AISC 341)
- Special Design Provisions for Wind and Seismic (ANSI/AF&PA SDPWS)
Note: The CA Special Civil Seismic exam standards have changed for the April 2014 exam; click here for more information.
Exam Topics Covered
- Codes and Regulatory Provisions
- Design Problems
- Details of Structures
- Diaphragm Theory
- Referenced Design Standards
- Seismology Principles