New Edition. Comprehensive Practice for the Civil PE Exam
Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam contains over 900 problems designed to reinforce your knowledge of the topics presented in the Civil Engineering Reference Manual. Short, six-minute, multiple-choice problems follow the NCEES Civil PE exam problem format and focus on individual engineering concepts. Longer, more complex problems challenge your skills in identifying and applying related engineering concepts. Problems will also familiarize you with the codes and standards you’ll use on the exam.
Solutions are clearly written, complete, and easy to follow. U.S. customary and SI units are equally supported, and units are meticulously identified and carried through in all calculations. All solution methodologies permitted by the NCEES Civil PE exam (e.g., ASD and LRFD) are presented. Frequent references to figures, tables, equations, and appendices in the Civil Engineering Reference Manual and the exam-adopted codes and standards will direct you to relevant support material.
Exam Topics Covered
- Civil Breadth: Project Planning; Means and Methods; Soil Mechanics; Structural Mechanics; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Geometrics; Materials; Site Development
- Construction: Earthwork Construction and Layout; Estimating Quantities and Costs; Construction Operations and Methods; Scheduling; Material Quality Control and Production; Temporary Structures; Health and Safety
- Geotechnical: Site Characterization; Soil Mechanics, Laboratory Testing, and Analysis; Field Materials Testing, Methods, and Safety; Earthquake Engineering and Dynamic Loads; Earth Structures; Groundwater and Seepage; Problematic Soil and Rock Conditions; Earth Retaining Structures; Shallow Foundations; Deep Foundations
- Structural: Analysis of Structures; Design and Details of Structures; Codes and Construction
- Transportation: Traffic Engineering; Horizontal Design; Vertical Design; Intersection Geometry; Roadside and Cross-Section Design; Signal Design; Traffic Control Design; Geotechnical and Pavement; Drainage; Alternatives Analysis
- Water Resources and Environmental: Analysis and Design; Hydraulics–Closed Conduit; Hydraulics–Open Channel; Hydrology; Groundwater and Wells; Wastewater Collection and Treatment; Water Quality; Drinking Water Distribution and Treatment; Engineering Economic Analysis
The NCEES recently adopted the 2014 edition of the ACI 318 code for the 2016 exams. This adoption occurred post-publication of Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam, 15th edition by Michael R. Lindeburg, PE. For your reference and convenience, we have included a PDF that cross references the 2011 ACI 318 and the 2014 ACI 2014. You may access the PDF by clicking here. PPI is committed to supporting you in your efforts towards licensure, and providing the highest-quality content for your preparation.